Effective Organisational Design
Organisational structures serve as the vehicle for delivering organisational purpose. The aim of this short course is to prepare managers to create organisational effectiveness through an appropriate system of authority, the design of jobs, sections and departments that enhance goal achievement and organisational success.
Short Course Outcomes
After completing this course you will be able to:
- Define the terms “organisation structure” and “organisation design”.
- Explain how effective organisational transformation and change are accomplished through organisational development (OD) practices, including leadership excellence.
- Describe the relationships among the four characteristics of organisational development common to all organisations.
- Identify the threat posed by signs of organisational decline.
- Discuss the relative advantages and disadvantages of centralisation and decentralisation of authority.
- Compare the characteristics of mechanistic and organic designs of organisations.
- Grasp the important role played by programme management in the effective and efficient leadership and management of modern cross-functional organisation designs.
- Explain why virtual organisations are becoming more popular.
- Understand the profound importance of achieving a high degree of collaboration, integration, and coordination in cross-functional processes of modern matrix organisational designs.
- Discuss the profound importance of abolishing bureaucratic organisational designs and paradigms in favour of knowledge-based learning organisations.